Monday, May 12, 2008

Week One - The Meaning of Time


I am not going to say too much here on this first blog because I already answered these questions in class and in addition there is the fact that I consider myself in recovery from my intolerance of communicating via the internet.  I honestly think I might be allergic.  Even though I acknowledge it as a valuable resource for uniting minds all over the world.  There are a great number of things that really turn me off about it.  Like for one i really like face to face interactions, getting letters in the U.S. Mail, and phone calls on landline telephones, all of which seem to be endangered experiences with the booming trend of this alternative form of communication...

but here it goes:

REFLECTIONS ON THE FIRST WEEK OF CLASS:
I reflect on the experience of the first week of class living up to my every expectation. I feel invigorated by reading heady articles about physics with a group of like minded individuals that are not afraid of sharing there feelings of excitement, apprehension, inspiration, and confusion over the topics we are exploring.  I still feel myself pondering the big bang theory subject, totally in awe that i had never realized that before there was an explosion there was an accumulation of energy and matter that proceeded... I also find myself savoring the conversations about time, what it means, what we are "supposed" to think it means, and how we are "supposed" to interact with it, versus what it really is and how we really have a lot more control over how we interact with it than people (like teachers, bosses, credit card companies, hallmark, etc.) want us to think we do....  Ahhh,  the tastes of freedom and rebellion are so sweet...

WHAT ATTRACTS ME TO CHINESE MEDICINE?
I am ever so sent spinning in circles thinking of the yin and the yang, the opposites, and the balance that can be found in the rotations.  Like I said in class, I spent a number of years practicing Reiki, feeling like there was so much more to understand about the energy I was just being introduced to playing with.  And I've been trying to "help" people through my working at a law firm that focuses on class action lawsuits against pharmaceutical companies by recovering money for their losses (which is another endangered experience) and one day it occurred to me that perhaps there was a much bigger potential world of being able to "help" people that had been hurt by the corporate complex of contemporary western medicine.  Long answer short, after completing my first year of TCM studies and the Qi-Gong certification program, I have indeed confirmed that the "much bigger potential world"  of helping people just keeps getting bigger.  (Kind of like the Big Bang!)

WHAT DO I HONESTLY THINK OF PHYSICS, REALLY?
I am not inclined to the study of the western sciences.  It has always been more confusing than it has been helpful.  I do recognize the importance of understanding the theories and their implications over everything manifest... But I never felt like i fit into the academics of such, nor did the academics of such fit very well into my intuitiv-ity.  I do look forward to dabbling, and learning what i can understand to enrich my life in Larry's "cliff-note" version class.  And I absolutely love reading the new-agey texts that intuit-ize the concepts.  But REALLY, I wouldn't have signed up for a physics class if my current education didn't require it.  Thanks for the little things, huh?

NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT, HAVE I EVER EXPERIENCED TIME "SLOWING DOWN"?
Now that I think about it... I don't remember the answer that I gave in class for this question.
But I have two things I want to share now.  
1. Damanhur.  Damanhur is a place in the mountains of Northern Italy.  I visited this place which boasts of its schools of alchemy and astral travel.  I don't know how to put in words the things I saw and experienced in this community / temple - but i can say if you are going to italy and you have any inclination toward alchemy and astral travel - you should go!  I am happy to hold a discussion with anyone who wants to hear more, but it you find yourself curious, you should check out the web site, and maybe put your back-pack on and check the place out for yourself.  I do not think you will be less than amazed.  check it: www.damanhur.org
2. Death.  And possibly Birth.  I don't know.  I can't remember my own birth, nor have i witnessed one, but Death, I have.  I have witnessed 3 deaths - and if you want to experience time slowing down... there is no comparison to the timelessness that happens when you watch the final breaths of a spirit before it returns to the journey it was on before it found itself in a live form...  there is no comparison to how beautiful the clouds in the sky become when you look up and wonder where that spirit has gone, and how minutes can feel like hours and months can pass like days when you are holding the awareness of the journey that the spirit of someone you love is going to some place that you cannot comprehend.

No comments: